A group of people organized to work together interdependently and cooperatively to meet the goals and targets is called as Team Building.
Ø The purpose of team building
The purpose of team building is to create effectiveness of every individual to cooperate for the purpose of the team.
- To create productivity in the employees.
- To omit the lack of initiation, innovation, routine actions taken for solving critical problems.
- Low participation by the employees.
- Focused targets and creativity.
- Harmony amongst the employees.
- To reduce conflicts between the employees.
- To jointly achieve the target.
Ø Types of team building
Types of team building are:-
- Permanent Teams: – These teams perform on long term basis and are not dissolved once the task is accomplished. Work or no work, human resource team, operations team, administration teams always work together effectively and hence they are permanent teams.
- Temporary Teams:- Unlike permanent teams, these teams are made when the company has excessive work, and they are assigned the tasks to work with the permanent teams. These teams dissolve once the task is accomplished.
- Tasks Force:- Such teams are formed to performed special tasks. There duty is to find the most suitable solution and complete the task within deadlines.
- Committee:- It is formed for a particular assignment whether temporary or permanent. Similar mindset people or ones with the same interests come under one platform. To raise charity, organize events, the committee members work together, design strategies to successfully accomplish the task.
- Organizational Teams:- A leader or supervisor guides a particular team or group of people to perform a task or many tasks.
- Self-Managed Teams:- Self managed teams are self sustainable and doesn’t need a leader to supervise. Here every individual is accountable for his individual performance.
- Cross Functional Team:- Individuals from different areas some and work together for a common objective and form a cross functional team. For e.g. Jason & Jessica are working on a project and Maya falls ill, David comes and joins Jason to accomplish the task.
- Virtual Teams:- Virtual teams are individuals located at different places, cities etc. They all jointly work for a common objective. Bloggers and freelancers are a good example of this.
Ø Team building activities
Understanding each type of team is important, so that you can use the appropriate approach for your team with regard to the skills you want them to develop.
- Personality Based Team Building:- This comes in different forms but the most common is personality based questionnaire, which tells you about the personality of each team and members.
- Activity Based Team Building:- Mountain climbing, trekking, outdoor activities are planned and teamwork from all teams is required to accomplish a particular task. This creates new bonding and relationships amongst the employees and enhances the performance.
- Skills Based Team Building:- Team members are engaged in various types of skills based workshops and trainings, such as conflict management, anger management, conflict management etc. ad they are asked to work in teams and achieve goals.
- Problem Solving Team Building:- This type of team building is lead by a facilitator from outside and then the members of the group are asked to solve the problem in teams. Various team members are inter changed and the scope of working with different individuals are created.
Ø Process of team building
Any and every team goes through these five stages of team building.
- Forming:- The forming stage takes place when the team members are gathered at one place and are introduced to each other. They share their experience, interest, and backgrounds etc. ad form first impressions about each other. The team leader guides the team members and ensures each one is understanding and taking care of his roles and responsibilities.
The team is dependent on the team leader to guide them.
- Storming:- The team begins to work together and they move into storming stage where they try to compete inside the team. They try to prove their point, show superiority, and demonstrate skills and ideas. As they go through this process they learn to solve problems with each other with the help of the team leader. The team leader needs to be adept at facilitating the team through this stage – ensuring the team members learn to listen to each other and respect their differences and ideas.
- Norming:- Now the team begins to accept each others’ point of view, ideas and they move together as teams rather than focusing on themselves as an individual. The team members begin to trust each other and actively seek each other out for assistance and input. Rather than compete against each other, they are now helping each other to work toward a common goal.
- Performing:- At this stage the teams are performing to highest level.ot every team makes upto this level, many gets dissolved at stage 2 or 3. The team members have trust built on each other and they all work effectively towards problem solving and decision making. The team leader continues to monitor the group progress and also serve as gateway when the decisions need to be take at higher level.
- Adjourning:- The project is coming to an end and
Ø Reasons for team building