Conflict management is the practice of being able to handle conflicts between individuals and groups fairly, effectively and sensibly. Conflicts are a part of the company and there are people who understand conflicts and can resolve them.
Ø How to manage conflicts?
A little situation handling, common sense and preventative action can defuse conflicts before it goes out of the hand.
- Ask questions: – Bad/poor communication leads to conflicts. Either you haven’t communicated or you have poorly communicated can trigger the conflict and the situation. Ask questions before you allow an escalation.
- Understand expectation and analyze it: – Conflicts are ought to arise if someone expected something and it is unmet.
- Listen carefully:- Listen to the opposite person carefully and rephrase the entire statement to what you have understood. Don’t interrupt in between and then try to resolve the conflict.
- Identify the points of agreement and disagreement:- Summarize the areas of agreement and disagreement and keep modifying your assessment until you both agree on the areas of conflict.
- Prioritize the points and areas of conflicts instead discussing irrelevant.
- Prepare a plan to deal with each conflict and focus on the important ones first.
- Look for opportunities to point out developments and compliment the other person’s insight and achievements.
If you wish to resolve a conflict you can.
Ø Conflict management strategies
There are main 5 conflict management strategies, they are:-
- Accommodating: Allowing the opposite person to satisfy his concerns without giving yours a priority.
- Avoiding: By avoiding the conflict, it gets on hold for a long or forever. In some circumstances, it can be proven beneficial.
- Collaborating: It works by integrating ideas by multiple people collaboratively which results in finding a creative option suitable to everyone. This is how you break free of win-lose paradigm and seek win-win.
- Competing:- This is win-lose option when you are concerned about your preferences and overlook the opposite one.
- Compromising: where both the people lose and no one wins. They don’t agree and compromise, which is good for short term solution but cannot last for long.
Ø Examples of conflict management
There are many examples of conflict management; however we have mentioned the three major ones to give an idea.
- Leadership conflicts:-
Sarah has been a Operation Manager for an year and her performance shows to be a good one. She also knows how to motivate her team members.
But few people in the team repeatedly complain about Sarah’s working style and she is not good at taking mistakes.
Firstly, it is important to let the employees handle conflicts themselves without any interference from the Human Resource. But if it is fond the conflict cannot be resolved without the mediation, then the interference should be there. Both the parties should be heard nicely and they should be assured of not being biased.
The next thing to do should be to calm down the employees at both the ends and then the conflict should be resolved with less emotions and more logic.
- Work style conflicts
Niketa and Arvind both work in Human Resource department. Niketa has been with the company as HR head over a year and Arvind has been working for 7 years now. Arvind while being a proficient employee tends to waits until the last minute to get his work done. On the other hand Niketa complains that she feels she has to worry about her as well as his work too. She wants everything before time and because of Arvind she has to wait until the last hour.
There is a conflict between both for each task and the report goes to management everytime.
What can anybody do in this when the conflict is in Human Resource department itself? The management decides to give them more tasks jointly where their results would be monitored and measured. Both work efficiently to achieve goals and the conflict gets sorted.
- Cultural conflicts
Reena is a Hindu and Ambreen is a Muslim, work in the same department. Ambreen doesn’t like Reena flaunting and talking about Hindu pilgrimage and religious facts and wise-e-versa.
Resolution for Cultural + Political conflicts
Usually company will try to have an employee manual in which it would be clearly mentioned not to declare any religious or political allegiance to be completely controlled.
Ø Types off conflict management